Wednesday, October 20, 2010

So Percussion

About three weeks ago I went to see "So Percussion" with my roommates. "So Percussion" consists of four men, who are widely known for playing different objects and putting on a very unique performance. Prior to seeing them, I had heard their performance resembled the broadway play, "Stomp". The performers of "Stomp"play unique objects with different tools you would find in your garage or on the street. The performers also danced around the unique instruments, for example, a huge tire. I saw "Stomp" about two summers ago in New York City with my mom. I loved the whole show, except towards the end I had a horrible headache because of how loud it had been. Since I loved "Stomp" so much I was looking forward to seeing "So Percussion".
The group did a great job in interacting with the audience, one of the four kept making jokes throughout the night, and it really made me feel like I was involved in their group. However, I wasn't really a fan of their music. In the beginning I thought it was cool, and it didn't resemble "Stomp" but it was the same concept, so it was enjoyable. As the beats got louder and the songs dragged on, I became bored and started developing a horrible headache.
The group is very unique and creative, at one point they played a cactus. I never thought of a cactus as an instrument, so I did find that very attention-grabbing. I think the idea behind "So Percussion" is awesome because, it opened my eyes to everyday objects that can be played as instruments. It takes a simple concept of playing on pots and pans as a child, into playing all sorts of things, even things from nature and making it sound good.
Although my head really hurt after the show, I did enjoy it overall. I don't think I would go see them again, but they were definitely worth listening to at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment