Thursday, December 16, 2010

Phyllis Chen Lecture

A few weeks ago I went to Phyllis Chen's lecture. The lecture began by Ms. Chen introducing herself to the audience. Following that, she told us about parts of her life, and the beginning of her music career, and how it started. Her passion for music began at the age of five. She first learned to play on a normal size piano. Years later, Ms. Chen developed tendonitis in her hands. To reduce her painful tendonitis and cramping in her fingers, Phyllis began playing the toy piano. A toy piano is a miniature piano, made of metal rods, and it can't be tuned like a regular piano. For the audience, Ms. Chen began playing the toy piano. My favorite song she performed was Irabella. I enjoyed this song because I liked the melody and the timing of the beats. The way Ms. Chen preforms really seems to drive the audience into her performance. She closed her eyes and seemed to bob her hair with the beat. It showed that she really loves what she does.
I enjoyed the lecture and short performance by Phyllis Chen. I'm not sure if I would really enjoy attending a full performance of her's because although I liked the toy piano, I can only listen to it for so long. I see why many people enjoy her though, because it is a very interesting talent. I would definitely encourage people to see her or at least preview her music.

No comments:

Post a Comment